Here are the facts:
- Milk Thistle is good! Sources vary in strength, there are no real protocols yet. He recommends 500-750 mg a day. Milk Thistle is used to slow the disease process in hepatitis B and C. It is common in Europe, where there even is an IV form available.
- Hepatitis C is 70-80% curable using a 'triple therapy'. It all depends on the kind of Hepatitis C virus you have--there is a hard one and an easy one. There also is your genetic ability to respond to the treatment, and they are able to test for that too.
- Hepatitis B is not curable. It may be slowed, but cannot be reversed.
- Liver 'flushes' and 'detoxes' do not achieve results in multiple tests. However, avoiding hepatotoxic insults before they damage the liver is very wise! Here is the short list: Tylenol (acetaminophen ), alcohol, tobacco(makes cirrhosis worse), GMO, pesticide, synthetic chemicals. The plan is to let the liver rest and therefore heal.
- Intake of alcohol daily is a greater risk of cirrhosis. People who take in more than 30g a day are at risk. Smoking makes it riskier too.
- Colonic therapy, high pressure, is known to have complications such as perforation of bowel which requires immediate, life-saving surgery (and possibly a colostomy). The reason is that the tube is inserted blind, and there is no visualization of colonic health before the pressure is applied.
- Colonic flushes and cleanses are not necessary to 'detox' anything. If you want to be 'cleaned out' any standard bowel prep will do.
- More on diet recommendations later--for now, in cirrhosis the recommendation is for increased caloric intake with higher protein and carbohydrate for optimal health in disease.