Thursday, February 7, 2013

Messages From My Patients: Chapter 15


November 12, 2006
2114 (nine fourteen p.m.)
I felt Aunt Edna cross when I turned the corner all the way near my house on the commute home from work. I was surprised.
She reassured me that ‘everything was fine’ and ‘it’s not a bad thing.’
She said she gets to see her mom. And her dad and her sisters and a lot of people she cared about and had not seen in a long time.
I told her how I see Aunt Jean in the blue dress…from time to time.
She said not to worry and that everything would be all right.

At 1215 (12:15 p.m. today) Dad called from Yosemite and left a message on the answering machine. He said Uncle Dave said she was feeling real good three days ago. But now her abdomen is all distended and they can’t operate. Mom—when I called Yosemite to ‘check in to say I arrived safely home after my long work shift' said that Uncle Dave said about Aunt Edna, “she just wants to sleep all the time.
(ed - so Auntie was thinking about crossing over, and it felt like she did, but it isn't decided for sure yet.)

(post script--her actual Transition was June 25, 2007, but this accurately reflects a clinical change in course of her illness, and a possible 'exit point' that was offered but on a soul level she decided not to take.)