Thursday, January 4, 2018

Love Will Find A Way!





Today was a good day.

I worked with a difficult surgeon who was actually not short or snapping with anyone in the room today.

I wish I could say more, but there's that old privacy thing.

I would share that today, for the first time in my career, the sedation affected a patient in such a way that the topic of conversation embarrassed me.  Sometimes we don't go 'all the way to sleep' and this poor soul once the meds were on board just got the 'filter'  on what's polite and not to be not functional. Everyone else in the room felt that way too, and fortunately the surgeon set the tone and changed the subject. It wasn't the patient's fault, it was the drugs, and we didn't make a big deal out of it.

It's still school break. I lucked out. Jared watched Anthony until I came home from work around noon.

Then I really had to work.  Calls to check up on things, like my tax installment--it's electronic now--is everything okay?  Calls to take Anthony to get his tooth pain figured out--it's not just the wisdom teeth but the extra tissue on top of them that's sore. The oral surgeon looked at it and said, 'not yet'.

I paid bills. I sent out bracelets to three readers. With love.

Which brings me to the theme of this blog post:




One of our readers who gave away a bracelet had a change of heart.

If I can have one back, I will treasure it.

Please?

Well?

To me, this is a teaching moment that is ripe.  I take my time. I know that not reacting is in itself a teaching tool. The silence, the pause, it gives a student time to reflect and to organize their thoughts.

My point?

Nothing is free. Someone somewhere puts time and effort into it.

My next point?

How to resolve it.   Would I slam a door in the proverbial way of the INFJ? Over this? don't be ridiculous!

But how to respond? That takes as much time and effort too.



It's true.

And boy, on mailing things, did I make mistakes! I had to do things twice. I smeared the ink with my left hand on the note. I put the wrong bracelet in the wrong envelope, caught it, and fortunately didn't send it out like that. Spirit made the message loud and clear to me--you are no better than anyone else, you are HUMAN, and part of being human IS exactly that, making mistakes and recovering from them.

Someone made a HUGE mistake today. The coach for the travel team. The YMCA let him go. He'd done this for ten years. The rec league said 'sayonara'.

As an INFJ, I saw this one coming. There's an income for travel team to him that he doesn't want to share with the Y. He likes to keep things 'separate'. Let's just say it wasn't 'transparent'.

How did I treat him? Like always. Yes, he flaked out when I asked for a new uniform for Anthony, he grew. I had to go buy uniforms myself for two boys, and get the numbers put on them. I paid for it. And for the shorts too. (I actually found out where he gets the 'official' uniforms made, by accident, and used the correct logo). It had gotten to the point where Anthony knows he's never going to make gold team, this coach delegates everything to his assistant (who's awesome, fortunately), and I only hear from him when it's time to pay money and he calls me 'sis'.

Why do I not judge him?

Well, first of all, it's not my lesson, it's his.

Second of all, I don't know the whole story.

Third, Anthony has been happiest he's ever been --the whole team has nicknames for each other--and it's good exercise.

Fourth, Spirit does amazing things. Our practice court might be moved back to the one closest to our house! That's super nice!!!

People who are learning their lessons need LOVE, great big quantities of it, and there is always enough to go around for everyone. Everywhere you go. 






I drove in circles today.

From our house to the orthodontist for a 'come this minute now we have a cancellation'.

The orthodontist is across the street almost from the basketball courts.

Anthony forgot his shoes. He was in flip flops and that just wouldn't do on the courts.

So we drove back home, had five minutes, and drove to the courts.

I sat in the back of the car and did the mailing stuff I'd mentioned earlier.

After practice, Anthony treated me to dinner with a gift card he'd had at his dad's house for a long time and never spent. In and Out. This time, he ordered 'protein style' (no bun) and a milkshake and SKIPPED THE FRIES!  He was active to be thin--for him. He had just eaten an ice cream from the ice cream truck (so rare, seriously, like the second time in his childhood. I had a bomb pop in the classic colors) before practice.

We got to practice, and he brought his new basketball, the one he won at the arcade at Knott's Berry Farm. But when we left, we forgot it.

After dinner we went to the post office and mailed everything. The machine broke and ripped me off for stamps. Anthony was upset but I was like, it's okay I'll take care of it.

Then, we drove home and he forgot the basketball.

We turned around and drove back.

There was no ball. But a teammate on the gold team told him that his coach had taken it home to keep it safe.

This gave ME a second chance. I'd wanted to bake these amazing cupcakes from a mix I'd bought at Big Lots (a discount store). They were Guinness flavored. You needed beer to put into it.

So we stopped at the store, and bought beer, bananas, and some extras.

I made them tonight. The flavors were very interesting. Chocolate with a nice lingering finish. And really nice frosting.

I was content.


Guess what was playing at the store while we were there?



That song brings back happy memories.

And it's true.

Love will find a way.

Remember we are human. 

Forgive yourself, forgive others when they make mistakes.

Don't keep score.

Do train yourself to ignore mistakes instead of pointing them out in others.  Why? This is a psychological action used in training intelligent mammals. It is called 'extinguishing'.

When you see a behavior you want to see more of, then you reward it. 

End result--reward desired behavior--and ignore undesired behavior. 

It works.


Ross isn't going to say anything, I quickly asked him. He knows I need my rest. I'm a little behind on sleep, and tomorrow is an extra early start. He really IS my angel. I'm lucky to have him...




clap! clap!

Aloha and Mahalos,
Namaste,
Peace,

Ross and Carla
The Reiki Doc Couple