Thursday, September 12, 2019

Two Vignettes



Good morning!  I’m sorry for the awkward angle on the photo. I’m trying to show you my happy family of sloths between the palm trees. It’s my favorite shirt, it was my mother’s day present from my son. He surprised me with it.

I love sloths.

Yesterday I had two special moments with my patients. I will share them with you.

One was very old. In the hospital we consider our patients who are above ninety to be in this category. I was sitting in a chair waiting for my next case, and he was being prepared by the pre-op nurse for my case to follow that one. I could see from left to right, seated and facing me, daughter or granddaughter, daughter or granddaughter, patient, the back view of the i-pad on a cart translator service, and nurse who is Thai. Everyone was happy, calm, and smiling. The group had an ephemeral quality to it, and I quickly filed it away into my ‘things I want to remember in that last minute before I die, subfolder, medical career’ file in my consciousness.

I was invited to join with the translator services since they were online and in use already. So I came over, introduced myself, in their language, Vietnamese, as the anesthesia doctor. I know only a few words. They help so much to establish rapport with both patient and family.

The joy was how the patient was so clear-headed and alert. In the room, he transferred himself without assistance to the O.R. Table. And as I attached the EKG leads to the stickers on the chest, impulse hit, and I counted with each one, to three, in Vietnamese as I attached them so he would understand what task I was doing and not be afraid. Moh....Hay....Bah...

As I did this, he chuckled to himself.

Of all the crazy things right? Some American lady counting to him in Vietnamese. It was funny and I’m so glad he enjoyed those last few moments before sleep. I avoid sedation with my seniors. So he was wide alert until the propofol did its job.

The patient after that had a lot of pain. Bad pain. From diseases. He too was Vietnamese. When I introduced myself in his language, and stepped him through the exam (breathe deep! Thank you!) in Vietnamese, he smiled and said, ‘you’re cute!’

In summary, as healers, everything about us, is a tool that is useful in our trade. Our humor. Our smile. Our willingness to meet another soul halfway. Our desire to take away fear and our willingness to take our time to answer questions. Our PRESENCE, in and of itself can add to the effectiveness of the healing. Even when cure is not possible, there is always opportunity for healing to be effective. Heart to heart, soul to soul, consciousness to consciousness, vibration to vibration.

Let’s get to work!

I have to work post-call. It’s a little sad. I was up until one in the morning. My first case begins at ten. I must head over to the hospital. Ross and I love you with all our hearts, he smiles and waves, and says he hopes you enjoy our little stories we share. And once we Ascend, we will be able to hear more of his stories too. He gestures that loose lips sink ships, and buttons his closed.


Clap ! Clap!

Aloha and Mahalos,
Namaste,
Peace,

Ross and Carla
The Couple

P.S. Ross says Have Fun!!