Sunday, May 5, 2019

My Mrs. Roper Sunday!







Friday was miraculous! I was on call, and I got sleep. I could have gotten all bent out of shape about it, because the reason I got to go home early is because a family didn't like me and didn't want me to relieve the person doing their anesthesia. Why did they even interact with me? Because the case was risky, the other anesthesiologist was concerned, and asked for my professional opinion.

I never gamble, I always say it like it is.

And the family, bless their hearts, wanted none of this information. Nobody had ever told them anything about anesthesia risk before. Why now? Why at the last minute?

I know the surgeon. The case was delayed for six hours because of something gone wrong in the case before. Wouldn't you begin to have second thoughts waiting there? I would. But they had the trust and they didn't.

I explained politely that a risky case is best done early in the day when there is backup help available. Even in this one, I was present when the anesthesiologist induced anesthesia, and available to help just in case she could not intubate the trachea. I actually was the one to tape in the endotracheal tube, because I wanted it to stay put during the case for when I came in to relieve.

The surgeon was very angry with me. He says I am causing him trouble and he doesn't know why. I have written that even if he wants to operate all night, it's not easy for the staff and anesthesia to keep up due to fatigue, and change is needed. I also expressed concern the last time a patient was anemic, had a history of antibodies for blood transfusion, blood loss was anticipated, and there was a cardiac history -- with no blood available for the patient! Clearly, internal medicine/hospitalist and surgery hadn't done their jobs.

What did I do with this surgeon? I love him. He is very good, although by word of mouth from other surgeons I know and trust, he is also unscrupulous.  When I went in to relieve and was told by the anesthesiologist that patients are crazy and they didn't like me and refused my care, sometimes it's the same with her, I did ho'oponopono with my surgeon. I was calm, grounded, and truly apologized from my heart for scaring his patient. The risk WAS real. BMI almost fifty, difficult intubation, likely history of Obstructive Sleep Apnea that was not diagnosed.

What did the surgeon do? He loves me too. He forgave me and told me that these patients are picking up on a 'lack of confidence' in me, he's heard it from other families, and we need to give the patients confidence. Of course for legal reasons to mention the risks but not to dwell on it.

And that was that. I had my Friday call at home. I did my puzzle and also slept in my own bed.

Yesterday poor Anthony's ballgame was forfeited because not enough of his teammates showed up.  So I went to the recycle place. It's fascinating there, the people. We lined up after nine, for it opens at nine thirty, and the worker was ten minutes late. He had a huge stack of cash on him in a zip lock bag. That was kind of cool to watch him open the spot. How much did I get? Six dollars and change. But it was good to be responsible for our own recyclables. We had lots of glass because the last time their glass bin was full. I also learned the hard way during the move that some wines do go bad when not refrigerated. So I dumped a few bottles and kept the glass to turn in.

I went to the old house. I brought things up and out to the car. I interacted with an adorable three year old neighbor boy named Conrad. We played with one of Anthony's old squirt guns. I will keep ties to the neighbors as they are like family to me.

What surprised me is that my neighbor Julia confided to me that when I was there she felt safe. Now she wants to move. She's another single mom, her kids have left the nest. She wasn't sure where to start. The association is very mean and cruel she says, and the raising of the dues from $328 to $400 is just too much for her on her income she gets from Target.

It's true. Associations have their ups and downs. The paint of our homes now--newly done--is hideous. The garage doors and front doors were painted chocolate brown, an ugly shade of it. It's a real push to get them to fix anything. They do a lot of work for the gardening, and keeping things consistent. I've done much more work in my new garden than I ever did back in my tiny one at the old house.

Yesterday I watched YouTube.


  • Why have we stigmatized Stay-At-Home Moms? TED talk. This is good, and I read between the lines, I'm academic. This 'recipe' for stigmatization is actually applied by TWDNHOBIAH on pretty much every topic. Vaccines. Politics. Sports. Be open-minded and learn from this one, it's much more than moms. Also, motherhood is a blessing from the Divine Feminine. Remember this. 
  • This article on baby sleeping patterns warms my heart. If they had a tee shirt with this on it I totally would wear it. When I hear stories of sleep trainers in the O.R., I want to cry. I was raised to honor old-world values from Italy. Anthony is very well-adjusted because I listened to my heart and not somebody else on how to raise him.
  • Ten Shocks from the South (USA) by Wolters World. Now you will understand why I used the phrase 'bless their hearts' to describe the family in the first part of the blog post. 
  • Rachel and Jun's new apartment. I remember Rachel from 'My Husband Is Japanese' before they got married and she moved to Japan and quit her job here. I enjoy them. They are some of the first to make a living off YouTube. 
  • I adore this woman! Marie-Anne Lecoeur French Style tips. She is right on target with that video, the one style tip you will ever need. By the way, I am a rectangle shape by measurements. I was an apple before I started losing the weight. 
  • Frugal tips from a Tiger mom <3-- forty items she no longer buys. I always enjoy these types of videos, and they encourage me to let go of things and lighten up.

I also spent a lot of time doing 'inner work'. 'Inner work' means lying down, and talking to Spirit. I have my lessons. And I processed a lot of emotions with Ross and my guides. I also ate a Niçoise salad in the back yard at my bistro table, enjoyed a glass of red wine, and took a nap on the porch swing. 

In the late afternoon, I did not one but three Lady Gaia Sophia Earth Magic readings. Everyone who has one is very pleased. The last one was from a donor who with amazing generosity sent one hundred dollars to help me, her friend. This gesture means so much that I gave a reading in return. I am going through money like water on the old home. Five thousand just for the work to paint the house, the paint, then there is electrical, plumbing, flooring, cabinet work, and gardening to do. I'm learning about the Latino workers who are highly skilled and work for cash only. They work hard. Very hard. I've paid two thousand and the rest will be due later this week. The house needs it, I can't sell without it, and thankfully, all the SCARY cracks have disappeared. I also learned from them that the new windows I had bought were installed cheaply. So there were many drafts. The house was too cold in winter and too hot in summer. If we can we will put new windows in too, the sliders are shot for the sliding glass doors...but back to the readings...I love to watch how Spirit answers the people's questions. Spirit amazes me with its efficiency, compassion, and accuracy as it encourages the people in their life lesson.

If you'd like a reading, just contact me at reikidoc@cox.net, and you can either PayPal fifty dollars to the email address, or snail mail your request with a check made payable to Carla St. Laurent, P.O. Box 2610, Mission Viejo, CA 92690. I typically email the report as a PDF, but if you'd like it printed out instead, I can do that. 

But today?

Today takes the cake.

I got to enjoy the Southern California lifestyle in my housedress/nightgown I got from my mom when I was nursing Anthony. It's ancient, I know, but the only 'housedress' I have. I worked in the garden. I worked on the puzzle. I sat in the sun under the tangerine tree in a little bungee chair that was popular a few years ago.  I finally washed the dishes.

It's so funny because yesterday I put off the housework, and today I had planned to be totally a 'Cinderella' day for me. Laundry, cleaning, unpacking. 

Instead it was Mrs. Roper without the cigarettes!

Just in case you aren't sure who Mrs. Roper is, she's Audra Lindley, the actress from Three's Company TV show years ago.



Look at that muumuu!! lol

Mrs. Roper is the quintessential Southern California old lady lol.

Here's more of her if you like. https://youtu.be/TlV1q7nsbSs.


Anyhow, things are good. I'm finally getting the rest I need to do the deep work I need to do. My friend Khiem contacted me over 'the airwaves' with 'Testing, 1,2,3, TESTING' and I haven't seen him at work. Not sure if his health is failing. I texted him back and he hasn't responded. 

My friend Kelly the Chief of Surgery LOVED my care package. She also previously had written a letter. I thought it was a letter of resignation, but it isn't. And everything matched her reading before it arrived to her. This is her time to decide who she is, what she stands for, and to be alone in the situation she and only she can master. Her letter was about our prime directive of patient safety, and she sent it to the medical executive committee. (They are her sharks in the shark tank for her on the not taking call issue). 

Our countdown is forty-five, and the new Gaia Portal is here:  https://gaiaportal.wordpress.com/2019/05/05/gaia-transforms-before-the-eyes/.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday : )))


With our blessings and love and joy,

Ross and Carla


Aloha and Mahalos,
Namaste,
Peace,.