Friday, October 18, 2019

On The Other Foot




This will be brief, I have breakfast to make in a few minutes.

Yesterday I experienced something new--my day in the Operating Room was more influenced by the Divine Feminine than by the Divine Masculine. The Divine Masculine--in it's present day ruling form at work--is hurry, hurry, hurry, don't eat, make money, cut corners, save expenses, PRODUCE. The downside of that influence is stress, abuse, anger, power struggles, and fear. I'm sick of that. I've been at this since 1992. I'm so over it. Trying to fit in to a man's world. Striving to meet the expectations that have been set by I don't know who, probably back to the times of the ancient medical professors back in the day where there wasn't much that could be done and residents lived at the hospital. One of those people said that the problem with every other night call is that you miss half of the cases.

Yeah. Right.

I'm sure that guy wasn't doing his own laundry or running his own home.

We had an all female team. One nurse brought in her son, and actually, the son used to be a daughter and is transitioning. This was for observation of surgery, what the mom does. It's fascinating because this isn't her biological child. She was married, she was the step mom, the husband left, and also left the kids. She's raised them.

The surgeon was a female. She has a reputation for being notoriously late. And again she was. But I know her, we are close, and I know the issues. Staying up late to take care of a patient who was in ventricular tachycardia. Other solid reasons.

Yes, there was a delay to start the case. But you know what? The Operating room isn't an airport or a train station. First case start data are ridiculous. Patients don't like to wait, sure. And administrators like to prove they 'manage' us and get their bonuses. Look at the big picture though--our OR teams have to get to work by six thirty in the morning to set everything up. Two nurses about my age are quitting and leaving for jobs without call and without the O.R. One is going into teaching nurses at a sister hospital, and another is going to be a nurse navigator. This is a new job for nurses to help patients work their way through the system. It's like a bunch of concierges who are medically trained and are encouraged to give emotional support. It's brutal the lifestyle those two nurses and everyone I know at work has been keeping up for ages, and detrimental to family and friendships. No holidays. Working weekends. It ruins the whole next day when you are up all night on call. You can't function.

After this, the case was technically challenging. My surgeon did all the right things. A mass was seen on the liver and sent for biopsy. If it was something serious we couldn't proceed. But it was okay, we kept going, and we didn't skip any important steps. Many male surgeons I know--not all--they rush. They want to do as many cases as possible in as short a time.

The podiatrists don't do this. The podiatrists take their time, always.

As a result, insurance reimbursements for general surgeons is dropping (it's a twenty minute case, why should you be paid as much) and the reimbursements for podiatrists is going up. Hmmmm?

When the case was over, and I needed to eat, the whole O.R. took their time. They were hungry too, the nurse first assist, the surgeon, the observation son, the circulator, the scrub. I was allowed to eat everything I had brought from home, which wasn't much, I was in a hurry to pack the lunch. And also, there was something good in the cafeteria. I got a bratwurst like others did. Just one.

The next cases were just as challenging. But the talk in the O.R. was supportive, entertaining, and fun. There was no posturing, no power plays, none of that bullshit. And I can verify I have seen lots of bullshit over the years.

Even at the end of the day, when I was excused to go home, I was almost home, and the charge nurse had made a mistake. She wanted me to come back. But traffic going to the hospital would have made an equivalent delay as waiting for the next case. She was really nice about it. She's a grandma too. And she said she made a mistake in sending me home, and will find other ways to take care of it, since I was almost home and Anthony was expecting me. He talked to me for a long time when I got home. About school. About things that were concerning him. He needs this, his mom, for the emotional support. He has a right to it.


New Saul Message is a new John Smallman. It's a lot like what we wrote yesterday. He usually has his Jesus messages shortly after the Saul ones, so look to see when it arrives.

I haven't seen many Gaia Portals. They copy what happens here a lot. They just condense it. But I can't post it like I usually do on FB and then it autofeeds to Twitter. Sirian Heaven's Isabel Henn has been reposting the blog on hers. And FB allows that. So if you'd like to keep up with FB as a source of this information, switch to follow her too. GoldenStar is her FB page. Then you won't have to go to this website every day.

Thank you for staying with us.




Clap! clap!

Aloha and mahalos,
Namaste,
Peace,

Ross and Carla
The Couple