Thursday, March 7, 2024

What I See

 



The other day I went to a gathering at my local church. It was a fundraiser. All the cooks, and servers, and ones who told us where to sit, even the ones who collected the money--worked for free. They were volunteers.

I went by myself and enjoyed my meal. I watched a lot of people. But what I saw is the framework to feed the hungry. There is a workable way to meet the needs of the community in place and people don't exactly realize it yet.  The fundraiser was designed to 'receive' from the community but it could just as well 'give'.

A local pet store I have gone to since 2003. I was there when the owner sold it to the young high school graduate. He in turn suffered losses. A puppy caught parvovirus and he spent three thousand dollars to help it live. Then the city outlawed sales of puppies because of this parvo risk. Then a kitten got stolen, he had it on tape, but the thief was never caught. You could see her stuffing it into her purse! Then there were only reptiles, small pets, and fish to be sold. 

During Covid business was booming. It was one of the few stores permitted to stay open besides the usual big corporate ones. But the landlord refused to fix some major problems. And he took his business across town. This establishment he rented had every single business that had been there go out of business. But with hope and excitement of 'bigger' for 'less money' he built his dream pet store.

They are going out of business now. Cost of doing business is so expensive!

On the one hand, what I see is this is by design--a way to squeeze out the few small business owners who survived the closures of Covid. It is like a giant game of chess where the moves take months and years! There is a plan out there, only the rest of us aren't in on it and many do not even realize this game is being played! They complain about cancers that come up suddenly. And the rise in prices for everything. The connection between end times prophecy and now eludes them.

But what I see as well? I see a young father really upset over losing his dream business and his ability to feed his family. And the community (online) is highly sympathetic to his plight. People are reaching out to help lessen the agony and suffering even though the situation is dire. Is this a chess move the one playing opposite the community has taken in perspective? Perhaps. But I like what I see.

Someone confided to me that they feel 'empowered' by voting. I believe voting is like an adult version of believing in Santa Claus--even if they tell you your vote arrived and when it was counted on your cell phone--it doesn't mean that other votes from people lacking a pulse are outweighing your own. It is good to go through the process. I just doubt, given the history of leaders being 'selected not elected' if you look into it deep enough.

For example, here in California, we hate daylight savings time. We the people voted to put a stop to it. Just leave it one way or the other. Well, this Sunday, I have to change my clocks one hour forward! Why? Because of the fine print. Leaving California stuck on Daylight Savings Time is not okay. We should have asked to keep it stuck on Standard time. That is the rules in a Federal way. So Arizona and Hawaii are on THAT one. It's bullshit. Total freaking, joking to the point of it being funny or else you'd cry. 

So I am watching this chess game play out in real time. 

It is fascinating!

Yesterday I brought cookies to work. Ones I had bought from a fancy store. My neighbors own the store. I supported them and brought delight to my coworkers. We had a very long day with little chance to eat. I brought two dozen (one hundred dollars worth) just so my surgeon would take two and not make it obvious. He was kind and brought one home for his children. These are big, five dollar cookies. 

With the cost of food you can see people getting excited when the surgery center provides treats. They provided bagels yesterday (first Wednesday of the month). And because two rooms ran late past five, they provided pizza for us. Which was my first full meal of the day.

People are good by nature. And people share. We might not realize there is a chess game (a spiritual war, really). But on our side is the Holy Spirit and that is a good defense. Not only is it a Higher Power, the opponent as hard as they try--can't predict or fully appreciate the intelligence and heart that is there.

So, enjoy the chess!

Look out for your friends!

Offer the 'milk of human kindness' often and 'spread it around'! It is much needed at this time.


clap! clap!

Aloha and mahalos,

Namaste,

Peace,

Ross and Carla

The Twins