Monday, January 10, 2011

What to do?


Last week, I was faced with patients who were at the end of their life. Hepatoma, renal disease, multiple bowel surgeries. One was addicted to heroin.

Ever since I began my path as a physician, I was struck by how little time some of these people have left in the world. They would be 'graduating' soon, and their suffering up to that point will be immense. Doing 'everything possible' medically still left the feeling that there was 'something more' that needed to be done. I just didn't know how to do it.

Reiki is just what is in store for these patients. During their anesthetic, I give Reiki. One of the most powerful methods in Reiki is to prepare someone for 'making their transition'. Energetically, it prepares the soul to depart. There will be less stress and panic over the death experience. It humbles me to give that to a patient. I know it is the best way to help in a difficult situation. Whether the dying occurs weeks, months, or years later, I know it will be a better one than it would have been without Reiki.