Friday, May 29, 2015

Gaia News Brief 29 May 2015





Wonder and Delight!

That's what I asked for when I went to sleep the night before. And Wonder and Delight is what I got!






The Decision

I was post-call, and slept in with my timer. Anthony was at his father's house. But he needed his costume for the school play. I had forgotten it on Wednesday morning.

There wasn't enough time to eat breakfast, drop off the costume, and get to work on time. And it was at the surgery center where if I show up later than a surgeon it's BAD news!

I had to decide.

Ross asked me, 'What is your priority? Work or Anthony?'

It was a no-brainer. So I went to the school, dropped it off, and had TEN minutes to get to work--when it's a twenty-five minute drive!

My heart sank!

Ross said to trust. At ten after seven, I was close to the hospital, and called ahead to say,'I'm parking the car'.  I was dressed and at the bedside at seven fifteen.

Guess what? Both the patient and the surgeon were late!!!

Ross had my back!




C-section Rates

No matter how you feel about childbirth, please hear me out:

  • c-sections cost more than vaginal deliveries
  • patients have to stay in the hospital four days after section
  • insurance companies are for profit, with focus on the year-end savings
  • if a woman pushes a child out--and even if she will need 'repair' of some sort later on for urinary incontinence and other pelvic floor issues--to the insurance company this is considered 'good'
  • some women have had anal fissures or similar perineal health concerns where surgery was needed to 'fix the problem' before they ever got pregnant.
  • these women don't want to exacerbate the perineal problem--but the insurance companies are not letting them know they have the RIGHT to request an elective c-section for this purpose
  • OB-GYN's cannot do c-sections without it going onto some sort of 'tally' or 'record' that is used against them in their insurance/quality/business end of things
  • A local hospital made a big PUSH with nurses to shame doctors into lowering the c-section rate at their facility, because THEY WERE GOING TO LOSE INSURANCE FUNDING if the rate stayed so high. 
  • In Liberia, a c-section is a luxury. There are children and adults with brachial plexus injuries and cognitive impairment from dystocias (kids getting 'stuck'), many of them. (In this country only midwives and nurses help, there are not enough doctors available)
  • There is someone--a male--whose name sounds like David Lagrew or something--who is speaking out against c-section. Some female OB-GYN's are very angered by his 'platform' and feel it is disrespectful to women, and disempowering to them.



Biometric Screening and Freedom Of Choice

Six years ago, when I started to work at my current hospital, we had dessert options, an ice cream freezer, french fries when the grill was open, and the usual variety of potato chips in the cafeteria. There is also a typical array of vending machines, for after hours when the cafeteria is closed.

All of those things are gone now.

Except the desserts, which have shrunk down to very small sizes.

Six years ago, biometric screening was an incentive for all employees (I am an independent contractor).  You could get a bonus if you did it. 

About three years ago, 'teams' were self-selected and people had a 'ten thousand steps a day' challenge. This was heavily promoted by the hospital.

Yesterday I saw a notice that said, 'If you wish to qualify for health insurance you will need to take biometric screening'.

It's not voluntary or incentive any more.

Many workplaces are adding the biometric (height and weight, health status, conditioning) tracking in the belief that it will reduce healthcare costs to the corporation.

And many workers are feeling pressure not only to perform at their place of work, but to work out at the gym, to be favorably 'seen' by the employer. This is to retain viability as an employee with the organization.

What's next?




The Unthinkable

I saw a patient walking in the halls, with a huge dressing on his neck. I said hello, and asked 'what happened?'

It's cancer.

Six days in the hospital, with no answers.

It's driving him crazy and he walks for three hours a day, after breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The cancer is huge and life-threatening.

He didn't know who his doctors are, or the plan, except he is getting a port today. But he doesn't know when.

He got in an argument with his head and neck surgeon, who initially said he was 'signing off' and then at the last minute in the conversation said, 'we will book you for tracheostomy first thing in the morning'.

The patient is underinsured.

He asked, 'I don't understand--how can you sign off in my care and then schedule me for surgery?' (It was for airway protection)

The surgeon said, 'You don't even have good insurance! I am working on you practically for free!' and instead of answering the questions, stormed out of the room.  (this is MY surgeon, a kind and gentle man, whom I trust and would never act this way unless for really bad circumstances/misunderstanding).

I was off work for the day. I invited the patient to sit. I went over his options with him. 

I was his advocate.

His situation is that his mother is 'frail' and 'he's the baby' and 'she just had a pacemaker put in here two weeks ago'.  The other three siblings are out of state. One is a nurse.

He doesn't want to be drugged and lying in bed all day. He doesn't want to be 'weak'. He wants to know if he is 'going to die from this so he can go to the mountains, drink a bottle of alcohol, and blow his head off'.

He wants to do it 'his way'--or if he has a 'chance'--to move forward with the treatment...

The hospital told him they would get him insurance.

I told him how to work the system from within--and that if he left, the hospital wouldn't provide him with anything if he came back. It's only the initial ER visit with a life-threatening condition that the hospital pays physicians and the hospital fees. If he leaves against medical advice he's out of luck.

He had a lot of trouble seeing that the rules 'inside' aren't what you'd expect. He kept repeating, 'How come these people don't have the common decency to let me know if they see me walking that I should go to my room if they are planning to round--come visit--me, when I pass them in the halls?' (his oncologist did this)

 I told him the truth--how we are overworked to the limit. How most nurses are hungry and have to pee. How I held my pee for six hours because I had to work! work! work!  I told him from my heart how we are just as miserable with the system as he is now--and we have no idea how it ever got to be this way!

I offered to do his anesthesia for him if he ever needs it--just request me at the time of booking.

He thanked me for the chance to talk and not be judged or expected to be 'happy' like the others...

I made it clear to him, as a cancer patient, he IS the quarterback. He can opt for no treatment, palliation, or going for cure if it's possible--it's all up to him--and to figure out with an ombudsman, social services, and his family how to mobilize the care he needs.  His physician assistant was good--he wished he had seen the doctor instead--but this person is a good start.

I am going to tell people we are 'cousins', this patient and me, if they ask.

It's true. In Hawaii, everybody is 'cousin' to everybody, if they are not 'auntie' or 'uncle' already!


Alexandra

Last night I had dinner with Alexandra Meadors of Galactic Connection.  It was part of the wonder and delight! A meeting cancelled, and I had a babysitter.  I really enjoy spending time with her.

If you haven't seen her website, GalacticConnection, you might enjoy it.

She gave me a new remedy for healers who work with the public, to help 're-set' your energy fields after possibly being drained from the interaction.

I gave her flowers because Ross told me to buy them for her at the store.  She was delighted!



Estate Sale!

I saw the sign, and instead of heading for home, I turned and followed it.

I LOVE estate sales! I was hoping to find something silver...

I drove four miles, brimming with excitement and adventure! I thrive on adventure!

There weren't any more signs...LOL...so I turned around. I had a two-item meal (pizza and salad) at my favorite pizza place instead.

It was so very nice to have this 'chase', even though it 'led nowhere'...this is what it's like when you are close to your guides, and they are working with you, and you know it. My energy was WAY up!




It can wait

There were three things I thought I needed to get done yesterday. I also thought I was working today. Everything will work itself out in time...if you let it.  Now I can get them done today!






Ross

Alexandra is my daughter, from the life I had with Carla a long time ago. He husband Steven, was our boy--the one who I 'gave away' to be raised by someone else, due to the political ramifications of who I was, and I wanted to avoid the risk of 'something happening to the lineage' as advisors close to me (whom Carla did not trust, and Carla in retrospect, was accurate) recommended I do.

Now here we are down the line, and Steven has a guilt complex of massive proportions, as a soul, and as Alexandra shared, 'he runs from one horrible incarnation to the next because he can't get over blowing up Atlantis' (he was a scientist in that life, and pushed the button on the experiment that massively failed).

He is our son.

Carla had just asked my forgiveness in the car earlier today, on the way home from work (it was a short day). 

She said, 'Ross, I loved you so deeply in that lifetime. Losing you made me go a little insane. I felt BAD because you went up, and I was here--it was like I wasn't 'good enough'. So I went through all these crazy incarnations trying to hurt myself, and running away from you. I'm so sorry. How can you ever forgive me?'

That touched me deep in my soul.

I never once for a minute considered the possibility that she would feel anything but joy aside from the grief of losing me--that 'self love' would be demolished in my passing (it WAS violent, and shocking to the core of all who witnessed it, even those who make it happen)

So gently, I looked into Carla's eyes (in spirit, for that is how we communicate--I am 'disincarnate'--I don't have a body), and I opened my heart. 'Carla, I sort of got off track in my mission too, I hurt you very much. How will you ever forgive me?'

And we forgave each other.

It was because of this, that Carla was able to tell Alexandra that Steven takes after her, spiritually. She said, 'I think he gets it from me'

And Alexandra understood.

Alexandra is an amazing woman, a communicator, a captain of her own ship--her blog which receives over twenty million 'hits' a month.  She is coming into her own now, as a healer. She is one of the most gifted alchemists who has ever lived, like Merlin.

She talks to Merlin every day. And St Germain too.

I am very proud of her, and also of Steven. 

Carla is too.

They are our family. We go way back.

Carla didn't recognize it when she and Alexandra first met. But Alexandra had familiarity, a sense of 'have we ever met before?' and greeted Carla with a hug and a big smile.


People are going to walk in to your life, and spark this sense of familiarity with you.

The veil is thick.

You might remember who they are right away, but always keep an open mind, that at in time, when you are ready, you may learn they were possibly 'something more'.

That is our advice to you today.

Have a nice weekend, and enjoy your time off, if you have it.




Aloha and Mahalos,
Namaste,
Peace,

Ross and Carla